Assignment 5: Handin and Evaluation

by Mike Gleicher on March 2, 2013

Assignment 5 is due on Friday, March 8. There are 3 parts to what you must do:

1. You must turn in your “artifact” so I know how far you have gotten.
  2. You must participate in peer review (by having someone look at what you’ve done, and evaluating someone else’s system)
  3. You must send me information on your Assignment 6 plan.

Artifact

I am not going to ask you to turn in your code (now). I do want you to prepare a written description of what your program does. Look over the assignment description – you’ll see there’s a bit of a checklist (there are 9 items). Be sure to have that list of 9 items and describe what your program does for each. Describe enough to convince me that you have achieved what the item is asking. You should also list any additional features that you have done beyond the requirements.

You will probably find that having a few pictures will go a long way in terms of describing what you’ve done. So include at least a few pictures as part of your description. You may also try including some (short) video clips showing off features.

I have no idea how well this will work out, but let’s try using the Moodle Assignment Handin function. The page is here. I have no idea if you’ll be able to upload multiple documents, or if you’ll have to make a ZIP file. Please put all your static (writing and pictures) materials into a single document as a PDF file.

This can be turned in any time on Friday. (If it’s Saturday, it’s not Friday).

Only one member of each pair needs to turn things in, but to make grading easier, the other person should turn in a note saying that your partner turned in the assignment.

Moodle will want me to give you a numeric grade, but basically, it will be graded on an A-F scale

Peer Review

Each person is responsible for showing their system to another person (not your partner), and to evaluate at least one other group’s project. Each pair is responsible for making sure that they show different people things. (so you and your partner need to pick different people to show things to). In class Wednesday the 6th, we’ll sort out who will look at whose project.

When you review a project: send me (the professor) email saying: (1) who showed the project to you and (2) your evaluation of it. I’d like you to give a few sentences of general thoughts, and then for each of the 9 elements of project 1 say whether or not the person convinced you they succeeded (and what they did to convince you).

This will be graded and count like a reading assignment.

Note: if you’ll be out of town or otherwise unable to give/receive a demo on March 8th, let me know before March 6th so I can make arrangements.

Assignment 6 Idea

Each group must have an idea for assignment 6. Before Friday March 8th (that means it should be in my email when I get up in the morning on Friday March 8th) you should send me an email describing your assignment 6. Each group only needs to send 1 email, but please CC your project partner.

I expect to give everyone feedback on their initial ideas from the checkpoint, including advising people on what to read for Reading 12. If possible, it would be to have some dialog to discuss your ideas before March 8th. (either by email or in person).

Previous post:

Next post: