A6 Peer Review

by Mike Gleicher on March 18, 2013

The last peer reviews seemed to work well. I got the sense that people learned from each other. And I got some feedback that I can use to check against the opinions I formed.

So, we’ll try it again for A6. And once again, we’ll do it on a day I am out of town. (Monday April 1). There will be no lecture on April 1st, so you can use this time to trade demos. Your peer evaluations are due on Wednesday, April 3rd. You should send them to me by email.

You will have to evaluate 2 other groups, not just one. I will also ask you to evaluate your partner and yourself, but that’s a little different. Each of these evaluations should be send to me as a separate emails (so I should get 4 emails from you before the end of day on Wednesday April 3rd).

Peer Review

For the 2 people you are assigned to, send me an email with the following information:

1. Who gave the demo, and who their partner was
  2. Your general impression of their system (a few sentences)
  3. For each of the 9 checklist items for Phase 1, whether or not it was met (a sentence or two for 9 items)
  4. A brief description (in your own words) of what you think they were trying to achieve with their Phase 2 / Assignment 6 project.
  5. A description of what they were actually able to achieve. Describe what you saw – what was the demo. Did it work? What did you see? How cool/impressive did it look?
  6. A description of what they had to do to to make #5. This means you’ll need to ask some questions about how things work so you can tell me how they did what they did.
  7. Your assessment of how ambitious/challenging this project was. You will know about at least 3 projects (the 2 you review and your own), So, you should be able to make relative judgments. Getting a basic version of something hard can be as good as getting a fancy version of something simple.
  8. Your overall assessment. Again, you will know about at least 2 other projects, so you should make a judgment.

As last time, I will assign you people to trade demos with. In each group of 3, you should trade demos with the other two people. The last group deals with the “extra person” issue by requiring that you get a demo from someone in another group.

• MM, TA, ZW
  • ZL, HL, SG
  • WS, MT, MI
  • TP, AP, TG
  • AS, EK, HL/TP (note: HL and TP appear above – they each need to give a a demo to the people in this set, but not review them).

Partner Reviews

Send me an email telling me about working with your partner.

1. How well did you work together?
  2. How did you divide up the work?
  3. If you had to divide up the credit for the project, how would you do so?
  4. What mechanisms did you use for working together?
  5. Would you work with this person again?

Please be fair and honest.

Note: unless there are extenuating circumstances, both partners get the same grade for the project portions of the project.

Self Evaluation

Finally, send me an email reflecting on your project.

• How well did you think it turned out?
  • What went right?
  • If you had another week, how might it have been better?
  • What did you learn from the experience?
  • For each member of your group (including yourself): what grade would you give for this project and why? The “why” is particularly important if you don’t give everyone the same grade.
  • It’s a cliché to ask “what did you learn from this project.” It’s also a difficult question to answer (but good self-reflection). So you can answer it if you can think of it.
    An easier question (or pair): What advice would you give to someone starting this project? or What would you do the same/differently from what you did if you had to do it again?

Previous post:

Next post: