The Week in Vis: Week 5 (Feb 20-24)

by Mike Gleicher on February 17, 2012

Note that I recently posted the first project and a clarification about grading. I have also added more detail to the syllabus.

This week, we’ll look at perception in more detail, and start to think about how we’ll move on to use this for creating visualization. You’ll wrap up the redesign assignment, and get started thinking about Project 1. And you really should be thinking about project 1 ideas, and beginning a conversation for ideas.

• Monday (2/20) Reading 7, with required comment. This is some basics of perception reading. It’s hard to just get a small taste of the field, but hopefully this will give us a foothold.
  • Wednesday (2/20) Reading 8,  comments optional (but encouraged – I really do find them useful). This reading is intentionally light so you can start to spend time on the project and re-design assignment. You may want to go back to some of the optional readings from Monday.
  • Friday (2/24) Re-Design Assignment Due.
  • Friday (2/24) – In the optional class, time, I’ll use it as a discussion of project ideas. Bring ideas, and we’ll talk about them. You can even think of this as a “workshop” where you can bring your pet problems to talk about what you might do about them (or even try to recruit others to help you with it). I’ll bring a few problems to seed the conversation.

Looking ahead, the following week, we’ll start trying to connect perception back to visualization through the choice of encodings, and we’ll start to evolve project proposals.

Previous post:

Next post: