The Week in Vis: Week 6 (Oct 9-Oct 13)

by gleicherapi on October 7, 2017

Week 6 (Mon, Oct 9-Fri, Oct 13) – Implementation

After a week of my travel we should be back to a more “normal” schedule…

Last week while I was away, you did some design exercises and looked at what Visualization research is. I’m curious to see what people thought was interesting (maybe I should have done that before the conference so I could have chosen to go to those talks).

This week, we’re back to design challenge 1. We’re also back to lectures and readings, although this week’s topic is a little weird. We’re going to talk about implementation. For folks who know web programming, you might actually want to tinker with D3. For everyone else, you might not care what’s happening under the hood. I’m not sure how we keep everyone happy.

On Monday, there will be a lecture with an overview of implementation strategies. On Wednesday, there will be a D3 “tutorial” where we’ll poke at some demos a bit and see what’s going on. I am going to have someone who knows a lot more about D3 lead it.

Learning Goals (for this week)

This is an odd week since it’s a place where the needs of different kinds of students really are different. It would be better if I could somehow provide a broader range of tools and implementation strategies, rather than the focus on D3.

1. Give students a sense of the range of options for implementing visualizations
  2. Give students a notion of how to choose amongst the various implementation options
  3. Give students a sense of what D3 is, and why, and how it provides an interesting set of abstractions for thinking about implementing visualizations
  4. Give the students who will actually want to use D3 some starting points

Previous post:

Next post: